Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 39: The Snake and the Supermarket

Machine picked tea leaves to be sold to a beverage factory

The highlight of the day would have to be the huge snake that I saw crawling near the tea fields. I was looking for trees that still had the yang mei fruit, when I heard leaves rustling. I thought it was just another person when I saw something long move towards a tree. When I looked up to the mound of soil next to it, I was shocked to see a huge live snake. It was big enough to squish me to death if it wanted to. I froze for 5 seconds, and ran as quickly as I could back to the house. I was so scared it took me minutes to calm down. Uncle said that the snakes that come out in the day and greenish ones are usually not poisonous. But I couldn't remember any of those when I'm barely 3 meters away from a possibly dangerous creature in an uncontrolled environment all by myself. It was really huge, it made the previous snake I saw weeks ago look like a big worm instead. Auntie's lived here for 14 years and hasn't even seen 14 snakes. Why I'm lucky to have seen 2 snakes in 38 days, I'm not sure either. I wonder if I would've been able to take a picture if I had my camera with me then. (When I went back to that spot with Auntie, the snake was nowhere to be seen)

We also went to this big supermarket that reminded me of E-Mart, S&R and SM Hypermarket. They sold everything from electronic devices and books to clothes, household and food items. I just bought ice cream (pearl milk tea and green tea with red bean) even though there were too many things I wanted to try!


Since Auntie wanted to sleep in the back seat, Uncle and I were left to talk during the 30 minute drive. When we talked about Mc Donald's, he actually brought up (his favorite son) older little brother, with a huge smile on his face! If only he could talk about the younger little brother like that! If an outsider like me can feel his favoritism in just one month and feel bad, I wonder how little brother must feel. :(

When we got home, we had some of the super sized watermelon we bought. Eating watermelons must be a favorite pasttime of this family. I wish I could show you the image of Uncle and the little brother eating watermelon beside each other by the sink, it was so cute! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment