Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 36: Zong Zi Making

I've been asking Auntie to show me how to wrap zong zi since the Dragon Boat Festival, and finally, we found time to make them today. It's a lot harder than it looks, because I just couldn't make one properly. Even tying the knot was complicated. *newfound respect for zong zi makers*


Steps:
1. Prepare the leaves: blanch until it softens and then clean by scrubbing and washing
2. Wash and cook the glutinous rice
3. Prepare filling: cook dried small shrimps, mushrooms and pork with soy sauce and pepper
4. Stir fry the rice with a little soy sauce, garlic and the prepared filling
5. Start wrapping!
6. Steam wrapped zong zi (or just use the rice cooker for convenience)

Auntie also fried a bunch of other things today: lots of ground pork (which tasted like chicharon), eggplant and even whole bitter gourds!


We also had a cake to celebrate older little brother's birthday, which was last Thursday. We didn't sing though, because they said it has passed anyway.


After dinner, I told Auntie that I noticed that Uncle seems to like older little brother than the younger one. Uncle totally lights up whenever he talks about him. Like yesterday, he suddenly asks me "Don't you think my son's tall?" I was surprised at the random question while we were watching TV. Whenever the two of them talk, it's like watching friends talking. But when it's Uncle and the little brother, it's totally a father-and-son conversation. Little brother even talks meekly, unlike the way I hear him chat with his friends online. I think it's strange because for me, little brother is just a lot more adorable and behaved. (It has nothing to do with the watermelons and the concern, I promise!)

No comments:

Post a Comment