Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 58: Bittersweet

Super abundant breakfast which we ate until lunch!

I keep hearing the term 回甘 whenever people describe the taste of tea. I'm not sure how to translate it, so I'll describe it in the way I understand it. It's a combination of the bitter taste that brings a sweet aftertaste, and the taste you get in your throat when you swallow it. When I first came here, I couldn't understand what they were talking about. For me, it just tasted bitter.


But as days passed by and I got to drink more tea, I started to realize that there really is that sweet aftertaste. I drink tea from time to time back home, but I only noticed that taste while I'm in this farm. I guess you'll know it's good quality tea if it gives you that 回甘.

Hakka Tea

Grind the ingredients then add water!

I also decided to make 擂茶 or Hakka Tea since I felt it was a must-try, having lived with a Hakka family for 2 months. It was fun to make and the drink had an interesting taste - a combination of jasmine green tea, peanuts and sesame seeds. (I ended up not adding the pink natto beans) Good thing I decided to try it! Auntie said it's good for digestion and that it used to be served only to important people.

I also told Auntie that I was going to buy stuff from them to bring home - tea leaves, pumpkin seeds and juice. I was surprised when Auntie asked me to get NT$3600 (~P5300) since I didn't want to bring home that much! When I came with my wallet, she suddenly gave me a red envelope and told me there's no need to pay for anything. She was going to put the money in the envelope and give it to me. She even gave me a bunch of other things such as preserves and more tea leaves! I was so moved I thought I was going to cry. How can she be so nice? T.T

Farm products to take home (picture taken in Manila)

After that, I suddenly felt depressed about leaving. I know there's no way I could stay longer this time, and it would take some time before we meet again. Living in the farm is sometimes tiring, sometimes boring and sometimes stressful, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as memorable if it was just filled with happy moments. Just like the tea's 回甘, it's sweeter after some bitterness.

Special Guest: Calpis Sour

That night, Auntie and I had our last beer session. We kept talking for about 3 hours, I don't know how my Chinese was able to handle it. Or maybe the alcohol helped a bit? We talked about so many things: "our fate", our memories together, her younger years, the family, my dreams, our views on certain things, and this whole exchange program. We also talked about things we normally don't talk about with our families. At that moment, I realized how special our relationship was since she was like a mother and a friend at the same time. We're just enjoying each other's company at present so it's comfortable to share secrets.

I am really amazed at how Auntie views things. She said she used to live her life "in one direction", no matter what life throws at her. But now she's learned to "change directions" to make things easier. She would do certain things to avoid conflicts with Uncle, and I realized that recently they haven't been shouting as often anymore. Maybe I was meant to meet Auntie so I can learn things about life from her, and help me figure out what to do with my life.

Auntie treats me like a daughter, rather than a "worker" in the farm, which I used to think was sometimes good and sometimes bad. But now, I'm really happy that she thought of me that way, since it allowed us to be closer and have more precious memories. She even asked me to come back in the farm when I get the chance, and if we could travel together in the future. I said "Sure, why not?"

Hair accessories from Auntie (picture taken in Manila)

No comments:

Post a Comment