Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 51: Family Bonding

Poor dog was left there so he won't be a distraction

These days we've been busy packing the Dong Fang Mei Ren Tea into cans to be submitted for the tea competition. It's tedious, but it feels like a family bonding session because it's probably the only task that requires everyone to stay in one area and work together.

All for the special award (aka P100,000 tea)!

While packing some fruit preserves with tea leaves, Auntie asked if I was interested in getting married in Taiwan. I almost said "No, unless it's Jay Chou" but I just answered "no... wait, that was a joke right?" But Auntie's face was serious! She said Uncle's relative is in need of a daughter-in-law (yeah, "in need" like it was a job opening). She was even marketing the family to me by saying "They're rich, they have a maid in the house and they own a kindergarten. You like kids, right?" (Hello red string, is that you? Ang bilis naman! I haven't even taken it out of the plastic!) It was so funny! I told Auntie that I'm interested in the kindergarten but not the marriage. I just can't stand being tied to anything at this point in my life!


Auntie also got fined for over speeding on the road. It was my first time to see a notice, so I took a picture. The funny thing about it was that little brother was actually (sort of ) scolding Auntie for getting caught. He went "How can you get caught in this area? There's even a sign that says the limit is 40! You should give this picture to 大姨 (who owns the store in the background) because it's rare that her store would be in this kind of picture." I told Auntie that normally, it would be the mother scolding the son for doing something wrong. LOL Good thing I wasn't riding with Auntie that time. But then again she probably won't ride too fast when I'm with her?

Since the older little brother finally brought home cream (even if it's the wrong one) that Auntie asked him to buy for my graham mango float that was already done ages ago, Auntie decided to do an experiment. She used biscuits that were a bit salty, canned whipped cream then condensed milk and mangoes. We'll know how it tastes like tomorrow!

Yogurt + Pickled Green Mango Ice Candy

Trivia: Pickled green mango is called 情人果 or "Lovers Fruit" in Chinese. Is it because it's both sweet and sour, just like falling in love? :p

I also watched little brother play basketball alone (and took the chance to make chismis while at it). It must be so lonely since his older brother is not home, Uncle doesn't play and his friends are all in the city. He agreed to bring me along if he goes out to play with his friends. I hope they do get to play before I leave!

I think the family's also very aware that it's almost time for me to go home. Yesterday, the little brother told me to tell my parents to start a business in Taiwan so I can come back to the farm anytime. (Um, aww? Haha) Then there's Auntie's attempt at getting me into a marriage, and Uncle's idea to go to the night market in the city tomorrow because it's only open on Thursdays and tomorrow's my last chance. Auntie also made a beer toast during lunch and said "Thank you for the two months you spent here". Is it time I start writing goodbye notes? :(

2 comments:

  1. LOL that must be a really short red string.
    awwww 10 days. I think I'll miss reading your blog as much as I miss you now.
    -kamille^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww kamille! i'll see you soon! ^^

    ReplyDelete