Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 16: A Little Family Drama

Dear Taiwan, I enjoy watching your dramas on television, but not in real life.

Today was not physically stressful, but I was emotionally stressed. I normally don't pay attention to the elders' conversations, but this afternoon was just... crazy. I don't know how it started but I started noticing that something was wrong when the customers suddenly became quiet and Auntie was shouting. It was the worst/ most serious I've ever heard since I got here, and I even heard the word divorce! O_O I was so scared I just went out and held on to little brother's dog for like 20 minutes. That's a long time, considering I normally don't touch dogs. But because there was no one else to talk to, I just didn't know how else I can stay calm. It seems Uncle said something about spending too much money which made Auntie explode and bring up a bunch of other stuff as well. (Oh, us girls and our tendency to jump from one thing to another~) But whatever it was, I'm sure they could've discussed it quietly. No need for the entire world (which means 6 people and a handful of dogs and chickens) to know right? I wanted to tell Auntie to lower her voice, but I knew I wasn't in the position to do so. After all, it may be the first time she's vented out her frustrations about their marriage in front of Uncle. I think she has a lot of issues, and I feel like there's a meaning behind each of her odd questions.

Strangely enough, the customers didn't seem as uncomfortable as I was - they were making comments like "say sorry", "you have to give and take" and "don't be like that". I swear I could even hear one of them laughing at some point. When it was over, they just went on as if nothing happened.
Seriously, Taiwan? Is this supposed to be normal?  

And after an hour or so, Uncle was acting like nothing's wrong but Auntie was totally ignoring him. It feels SUPER AWKWARD to be in the same space with just the two of them! Thank God for the person who gave us Zong Zi (glutinous rice and fillings wrapped in leaves), which made us full so we did not have to eat dinner. They eat it by hand here so we just ate on our own while quietly watching the TV.

Inside: sticky rice, pork, dried shrimp, mushrooms and peanuts

This family trusts me too much, they left me all alone in the house! But then again, since it's in the middle of nowhere, it's not like I could run away or something, right? Auntie is in dance/exercise class, which I decided not to join because I'm sure she would bring up today's incident again. Uncle went out early to check on little brother if he's really in the library as he claims to be. He says you can't always believe what the kid says. I think little brother deserves a break from time to time, because his life is school-library-helping out at home-online games. That's not a happy life for a high school kid! I will get his number when he gets home so I can tip him off the next time Uncle goes out to fetch him early again.

So much for thinking that families in the countryside are more together than ones in busy cities!

I feel like having a drink tonight. But what to do, this family doesn't drink!

P.S. Since I held on to the dog for a long time today, he has become super KSP! I think he wants me to keep petting him or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment