Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 54-55: The Last Weekend


Auntie never ceases to amaze me with her cooking skills. Today, she made all of those dishes above (times 3, because there were 3 tables), plus dishes for two more tables ! Little brother and I helped a bit, but it was still Auntie who did 99% of the work. When I go back home, I swear, I shall practice cooking!

Preparing the pumpkin balls the previous night

These days there are lots of beetles in the backyard! I can't believe people actually PAY to see them. When Auntie made me go there and take pictures, I kept panicking whenever they started flying!

Lots and lots of beetle in the backyard >.<

Auntie also catches these bee like insects and drowns them in rice wine (alive!). The wine is supposed to be good for the body. This family is really into a lot of businesses! LOL

Making wine out of those insects!

We also finally get to taste Auntie's version of the mango and banana float. She's been curious about it after I made the graham mango float around two weeks ago, and decided to make her own versions when older little brother brought home canned whipped cream. The crackers she used were thicker and saltier than graham crackers, but they actually taste great.

Mango and Banana Float made by Auntie

There was also this ice cream truck that passed by the farm. When little brother and I went out, the ice cream lady gave each of us a popsicle as samples. Turns out she was selling in bulk! NT$600 for a box, buy 2 boxes and get 1 free! I found it funny because there's just 4 of us here, and there will only be 3 of them here when I leave. Who's gonna eat all of those ice cream?! Uncle ended up buying half a box since the lady already gave all of us samples and it felt 不好意思 not buy anything.


Earlier this evening, a strange guy came into the house out of nowhere. I thought he was a customer and I was ready to call Uncle, but he suddenly started talking in English, saying hello and asking where I was from. I was like "Who the hell is this person and why does he know I speak English?". But I answered all of his questions anyway and chatted with him for a while. It's rare that I get to speak in English in the farm! Turns out he's Uncle's nephew, the guy that Auntie wanted to "introduce" to me! When I finally realized what was going on, I started to feel awkward. Thank goodness Uncle decided to finish packing the tea leaves tonight, which made his nephew go home (because I guess he didn't want to help~). When Auntie arrived, I was able to confirm that the guy really did come because of her! She asked what I thought of him, and since I didn't know how to say "he's not my type" politely, I just said "I'm leaving next week, what are you talking about?"

Oh 月老神君, I know you allowed me to get a red string, but isn't this a bit too fast? And I'm leaving in 4 days!

*Erratum*
The next day, Auntie clarified that the guy she wanted to introduce to me was not the one who came the night before. She said she was just joking and that she wouldn't introduce me to someone like him. It seems she can read my mind after living together for 2 months. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment