Friday, July 8, 2011

Cooking Lesson: 蚵仔煎 Oyster Omelet

Eating Oyster Omelet in Taiwan has been on my to-do list ever since I watched this drama called 轉角*遇到愛 Corner with Love. They made it seem really good in the drama! :) I've tried it in Manila through some Chinese restaurants, my friend Joanna's very capable cook and my dad's continuous experiments in the kitchen. But I was really curious how they do it here, so I took pictures in the night market and asked Auntie to teach me how to make it.

Night market version: many at a time

Step 1: Prepare the ingredients

1. Dissolve some sweet potato powder in water. Ratio is almost 1:1 - no measurements because Auntie just estimates!
2. Wash the oysters.
3. Wash the 小白菜 (cabbage? pechay?) and cut it into bite-sized pieces.

Home kitchen version: one HUGE plate at a time

4. Heat some oil.
5. Put about 4 scoops of the sweet potato powder mixture in the pan. Wait until it becomes slightly transparent.

Step 2: Cook the omelet

6. Add some oysters and an egg. Break the egg!
7. Add some of the vegetables.
8. When the sides are cooked, fold it in half to form an omelet.
9. Carefully flip the entire thing to cook the other side.

Just having this for dinner is super filling!

Optional: Enjoy it with cold beer! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment